AIRCRAFT COLOURS AND MARKINGS OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR ERA
In the closing days of WWI, three French escadrilles - BR39, BR59 and BR66 - were redesignated as Polish squadrons. Later the French government turned the surviving aircraft of these escadrilles over to the Poles. BR39 became 16EW, BR59 became 12EW and BR66 became 4EW. All three squadrons were disbanded by late 1920. Poland later ordered a further 70 BR14s and these were issued to 1, 3, 8, 10, 12 and 16 Eskadras between 1920-21. By 1924 the Br14 had been replaced in service.
Initially the Br14s wore five-colour camouflage and French markings. These markings were gradually overpainted with the Polish checkerboard markings various combinations of French and Polish markings can be observed on the aircraft below. Later Br14s were dark green on all uppersurfaces
During 'Zeligowski's revolt' in Lithuania in 1920-21, 16 EW was sent as a fictional Lithuanian squadron, and their new markings consisted of an amaranth square with white outline on left wing and white square with amaranth outline on right. The rudder of these aircraft were also given stripes in these colours.